Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Ye' Old Switcheroo

Two weeks ago on my birthday I stopped by my local Salvation Army, it was a half day and it seemed like a good idea. And I sure glad I am! I scored the most BEAUTIFUL piece of furniture for only $60! Take a look at this beauty-


It's Broyhill, from the Scupltra line and it such great shape.  Dear thrifting gods- thanks for looking out for a sister! I love it!!!!! Here are some close ups-




I am so excited to have scored this piece at such a cheap price.  It immediately found a home as the piece below the television. However, this caused a problem as I already had a piece of furniture there- so where was it's new home? Here is the piece, a small bookshelf with sliding glass doors I scored a few years ago at a local thrift shop for ten bucks.


This piece worked really well for dvd/vhs storage and holding components. I decided to put it in the entryway by the front door. I previously had two matching orange 60's chairs here that were never used and just collected junk. The piece fits in the space perfectly but I decided that it needed some ooompfh! My first thought was to attach fabric to the back of the glass door for a punch of color/pattern and provide some hidden storage for umbrellas, hats, etc. I went digging through my supplies and settled on this wrapping paper that I purchased at IKEA several years ago.





I removed the glass doors after some jiggling and started to measure out the paper. 

I started wrapping and tapping and thats when I remembered that I wasn't wrapping a present- but that I needed to cut precisely to fit on the back of the glass. After many tries and discussing with myself out loud about the logistics (the doors slide and where to put the tape so that it wouldn't show) I gave up and walked away. When I returned I decided to paper the back of the bookshelf. This would provide a pop of color and pattern, but would not solve the covered storage issue. So I removed the shelf, cut and installed the paper. After that, I looked around and decided to move my growing collection of owls into the renewed shelf. Here's what I have now and some close up owl shots.


Cost of this change up was zero dollars as I used supplies that I already have. Gotta love that! Now all I have to do is to figure out something for my empty mantel and my two extra orange chairs...

No comments:

Post a Comment