Monday, July 16, 2012

A not so mellow yellow

Last summer when I went did a redo of the front of the house, I replaced the front door. I was then, of course stuck with the task of picking a paint color. I think I went through about ten colors. I put little swatches up and asked my friends to drive by and give their opinions. I went with a pale yellow which I decided was too light, so I went with a brighter yellow. Within a month I decided that was too right and ended up painting it a coffee with cream-ish color. So I ended up without the yellow door I wanted so badly, until now!


For the last 2 months the back door looked like this....


Yeah I know don't judge- I couldn't decide! We've had a lot of friends over during this time and always solicited their opinions, which were pretty much 50/50 overall.

 J was fond of the orange, while I was digging on the yellow. Well yesterday I decided to pull the trigger and go with the yellow. The color is Lowe's Valspar in Golden Promise.


This yellow was the second yellow I originally painted the front door but decided it was too school-bus-ish for the front of the house. But in the backyard there are lots of bright yellow accents like the umbrella..

the plant holders...


a few pots...


and even my pillows...


Yeah, yellow is my spirit color. Here is my door painting tool kit.






It's crazy bright and I'm in love. If you're in Richmond, or VA you know it's been hot as heckity outside. (Calling for 100+ temps today and through the weekend!) So you may be asking yourself, how did she paint an exterior door in these hot temps and not end up with a clumpy gross door? Well under recommendation and gift of a friend I added Floetrol to the paint. Floetrol is an additive that can be mixed to any paint that thins the paint out and therefore helps mask brush stokes.





Not pimentos, but a travel bit of Floetrol! I added about 2 tablespoons to my paint and mixed it up with my paintbrush. Having painting with this quart before, the difference was noticeable. The paint went on smooth and light, which helped limit brushstrokes in every which direction. Again, here's the final product.


Now only if I had someone to build that pergola and redo the deck for me...!


Oh, I can dream...

No comments:

Post a Comment