Friday, April 13, 2012

New Yarn Wreath

Friday was the start of my spring break, and although I was stoked I was also exhausted. However, I still managed to hit three thrift stores on my way home. When I was about to drop, I hit up the Mickey D's for an iced coffee. I promptly chugged it down before I even made it home! I saw in the backyard for awhile soaking up some sun shine until the coffee kicked in and I got my craft on. Yeah, what do you do on a Friday night at 7?!?  I decided on making another yarn wreath. If you are trying to kill 20+ minutes I highly suggest googling "yarn wreath" images, cause there are some amazing ones! I busted out my crochet/felt suitcase and got started.

I made my first one back in the fall around Thanksgiving.  I looked up some tutorials and used this one for the flowers. Here's a shot of it for ya-
I was very happy with it because it was both Thanksgiving-y (yeah, I made that up!) and autumn colors too. So it served dual purpose- gotta love that. It didn't take as long as I thought to wrap the wreath form, which I picked up at Ben Franklin for about 7 bucks. The styrofoam forms can be pretty pricey but give you a nice clean lump-less finish. This go around, I used a hay form that I picked up at the thrift shop for a buck! Yeah, a buck is way better than seven and not to mention it's double the size! I've come across a lot of these lately, both big and small. I decided to use the larger one for this project.

For my color palate, I wanted something with some Easter and spring flare. So I decided on yellow for the base, and then flowers in white, blue, and gray. I prepared the hay form by wrapping it in plastic wrap to avoid getting hay bits all over myself and the floor. Then I started wrapping the wreath. I did one tight wrap and then a second layer to hit spots that looked thin. It took me approximately an hour, give or take and I used up the entire ball of yarn.

Next, it was flower making time! Now my local Ben Franklin has a real lack of fun colors in their felt section so I have to stick to the basics. I have several browns, yellows, greens, blues, and of course, white. (Anyone know of a good felt source online????) For my last wreath I made flowers like this but this time I wanted to try something different, so I followed this tutorial and tried a new flower. And let me say, I love them! They take about the same time as the flowers above, and require no extra materials. I crafted four flowers and leaves and hot glued them into place. Lastly I made a felt hanger for the  top of my wreath. Here's my finished product hanging on the front door-

No comments:

Post a Comment